Here’s a short message to remind you of the power of fruits and vegetables in fighting disease – especially diabetes. (and be sure to check out the video link below)
How will more fruits and veggies help diabetes?
- Low calorie to help you lose weight and prevent diabetes.
- Lower carb to lower insulin needs.
- Great source of potassium to help lower blood pressure.
- Loaded with phytochemicals that fight heart disease, cancer and other health problems.
- Great source of fiber.
- Sodium free.
- Most are naturally fat free and those that do have fat contain heart healthy fat.
- Great source of vitamin C.
- Eating more replaces high calorie starches and sweets that are unhealthy.
There is one catch. You have to make the effort to change your eating and food buying habits. This takes time and effort but is well worth the payoff of preventing diabetes, lowering blood pressure, cholesterol and losing weight. This is probably the most powerful diet change you can make.
Start small by choosing one meal to add vegetables and one snack to add a fruit. Take advantage of fruits and veggies in season when they taste better and cost less. Check out the farmers markets or try growing something of your own!
To get you motivated check out this great 2 minute video and start to Color Yourself Healthy!