Grapes are actually very heart healthy and have a low glycemic index, in the 43-53 range. One serving is about 15-20 grapes, a small handful. The equal amount of carbohydrate in grape juice would be about 1/3 cup.
More Health Benefits of Grapes
- Resveratrol: grapes have more than any other food and it may help prevent damage to blood vessels.
- Manganese, vitamin K and potassium: grapes are a good source of these nutrients and 19 different phytonutrients.
- Helps control blood pressure: the flavonoids in grapes help keep arteries elastic so they can expand when needed for increased blood flow.
- Helps lower LDL cholesterol (the bad stuff) by slowing LDL oxidation: LDL sticks to the walls of veins and arteries when it gets oxidized. This leads to inflammation and plaque, which narrows the blood vessels and increases the chance of heart attack or stroke.
- Decreases activity of platelets, which are responsible for clotting. If platelets are too active it can cause clots to form inside blood vessels and lead to heart attacks.
- Helps the release of nitric oxide, which is also helpful in preventing neuropathy, the nerve damage that causes numbness and pain in feet and hands.
Concord grape juice is also great for heart health and you can even make your own flavored water by diluting the juice. This can be a healthy alternative to regular or diet soda. (Just be sure you are buying 100% grape juice).
Of course if you are on certain medications you don’t want to interfere with levels of vitamin K or potassium so always check with your doctor or pharmacist if you have questions.
Don’t Let Diabetes Get You Down.
Now I want to talk about the other effect of diabetes related to our heart . . . the emotional effect of having diabetes. Having any chronic disease is stressful, but diabetes is so much about food that it can often trigger more emotional eating just trying to deal with it all. And if you have high or low blood sugars, that can affect your mood.
Why am I mentioning this? If you are struggling with managing diabetes and need help problem solving, email me to schedule a complimentary 15 minute chat and learn more about how I can help you take control of diabetes. Coaching sessions are customized to your needs and can be done from the comfort and privacy of your own home by phone.
Sign up for the free report “10 Strategies to Control Carb Cravings” so you can receive ongoing tips on diabetes as well as updates and discounts on programs!